Thursday, June 10, 2010

What's wrong with being a homemaker?

Okay, so this is supposed to be just my thoughts, but I will warn you it may turn into a rant. Sorry in advance!

I have come to read on many sites women complaining about being homemakers. Honestly, my dream in life was never to become president of the United States, it was to be a stay at home mom to at least five kids and a hubby who brings home the bacon. This also means that I wanted a life where I did the household chores, the cooking, the baking, and all the day-to-day things the hubby needs done. I guess you could say I am old fashioned. But why is that? Why is it that when I tell people this they say that I am "living in the past" or I'm "crazy"? Is it crazy to want to just be a mom?

These women complain about how they have to do all the house work and how their hubbies expect them to do these things. Well DUH! You stay at home all day, he is the only one with a job, why should he do all the work and you get a free ride? I know, I know, it's a bit harsh. But it's true to me! I would be 100% willing to do all the housework and have a home cooked meal sitting on the dinner table when DH comes home if I was a stay at home mom. Am I unrealistic? Am I just living in the past?

I am gonna stop this before it turns into a full blown rant. Thanks for hanging in there with me!

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I found your blog via milspouse.com's forums and thought I'd add my two cents to this post. I feel the same way you do! In fact I have a similar post on my blog. I don't know what being a housewife has such a bad stigma these days, but it won't stop me from dreaming about one day being able to do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi new friend1 I love love love being a housewife. Sometimes I have a hard time with it, wondering if I actually contribute enough and stuff like that. But we have a good balance, my house is clean, we always have an awesome meal on the table, and get to see each other all the time :) I can't complain tooooo much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 7 full working days left until I do just that "stay at home". I'm not sure what to expect since I have always worked. I don't plan on staying at home and really hope I don't get bored to death. Hubby has bets I'll be back working (not the same place) before long. It was a hard decision to make cause #1 all our kids are in school #2 I have been able to tend to 5 kids, hubby maintain a beautiful clean home,laundry, cook very homestyle meals, drive everyone around and still pull 40 hrs. However, I am doing it to spend more time with my hubby before he deploys again very soon. It will free up my evenings from the cleaning,laundry,etc.. It will be nice when he comes home from lunch, or the kids get sick and need me to pick them up. I hope to be more refreshed in the evenings than frazzled.

    ReplyDelete